Comparison between polycarbonate outer lenses and glass

Finestey

My automobile has reached a point in its lifespan when it is necessary to clean and shine the headlights annually in order to prevent damage from UV rays. Those who share my preference would go for glass, despite its fragility and susceptibility to damage from stones. However, if the design allows for simple repair of the glass alone, I would myself be tempted to choose that option. Opinions?

Detach the headlight assembly. Apply wet and dry sandpaper with a grain range of 600 to 1200 to eliminate any discoloration. The abrasions and marks caused by the 1200 are inconsequential and will be filled with a coating substance. Purchase a 2K can of clear coat from Amazon, which offers durable UV protection and long-lasting performance. Cover the whole headlamp, leaving just the polycarbonate exposed. Apply 2 or 3 layers. The problem has been resolved for around the next decade.

I used this product on my kid, Mini, throughout the previous year. Was quite effective.

The Holts HREP0031A Headlight Restoration Kit effectively rejuvenates cloudy, yellowing, and oxidised headlamps, restoring them to a pristine, like-new condition. This kit is user-friendly and simple to use. Our services include repairing, restoring, and protecting drill attachments. The provided link is https://amzn.eu/d/gELh96c.

Glass headlights are prohibited in the UK for any automobile manufactured and sold after about 1995.I am unable to recall the precise date... but, it occurred about within that time.

The matter at hand, as described by the original poster, does not primarily concern the comparison between glass and plastic. Rather, the crux of the matter lies in the fact that glass lenses may be changed separately from the headlamp body, but plastic lenses are often incorporated with the headlamp. Put simply, if the plastic lenses were readily and inexpensively replaceable, it would have remedied the problem mentioned by the original poster. The contradiction lies in the fact that although the independent glass lenses are never required to replacement as a result of regular use, the integrated plastic lenses gradually degrade over time.

However, they may be readily restored to a clear state by polishing.Removing the manufacturer UV protection will accelerate the yellowing process of the item. To ensure long-lasting durability, it is essential to apply a coat of clear UV resistant lacquer over the polished surface. If you neglect to do so, you will need to regularly polish them every few months after the first occasion.

Indeed, I have performed wet sanding on the lenses multiple times throughout the years and have applied different anti-UV light coatings (I will attempt the Amazon-recommended one mentioned above) without achieving a long-lasting outcome. However, markjay's point is worth considering: it would be preferable to have polycarbonate lenses that can be replaced individually rather than replacing the entire unit. The right to repair movement, now gaining traction in the United States, advocates for the adoption of products that are designed with modularity and accessibility in mind, as opposed to the deliberate incorporation of planned obsolescence, which is prevalent in some companies such as Apple and others.

The proponents of the "right to repair" movement lack comprehension of the substantial cost savings achieved by these intricate devices.

When you disassemble an automobile, television, or radio from the 1970s, you will see the intricate and meticulously crafted intricacy of its structure.

While it is possible to construct a mobile device using interchangeable components, it is important to note that such a device may not possess the same level of dependability and affordability. Contemporary automobiles are far less expensive than their earlier versions, mostly due to the production of components in large quantities by external suppliers that possess expertise in minimising costs associated with various parts, ranging from headlights to steering wheels.

(The great news is that sourcing and recycling components has become simpler than ever before, owing to the Internet and PC inventory systems.) There will be no more instances of people jumping over automobiles at Silverlake.

To resolve the issue with the headlights, similar to addressing paintwork, it is necessary to thoroughly clean, polish, and refinish them. Afterwards, a protective coating should be used to seal the final result.