Inexperienced individual has issues with the gearbox system. Assistance required.

Wordcar

Greetings, I am a newcomer to Mercedes and I am the proud owner of a 2007 Mercedes C230 W203 Estate 2.5. According to the Vin decoder, my vehicle is equipped with a 7g gearbox. However, when I engage manual mode, I only get the options of R (reverse), N (neutral), D (drive) and gears 1 through 6. Is reverse considered as the first gear in this gearbox?

Occasionally, when I am driving, the car becomes immobilised in third gear. To resolve this issue, I need to come to a stop, switch off the engine, and then restart it. After doing so, the vehicle functions normally once again. I have replaced the oil in the container, but, I am seeing an error code.

Both numbers 2767 and 2768 are associated with component Y3/8n2.

I am encountering difficulty in locating accurate information or obtaining the right licence plate for the car, since the majority of web resources pertain to either a 5th generation or 7th generation, rather than a 6th generation.

When I contact Mercedes, they are unable of providing me with a part number or selling me the component. Instead, they need the item to be installed in their workshop.

I am located in London, United Kingdom. I have included screenshots of the diagnostic results.

Possible Causes of Gear Engagement Issues

If your vehicle is experiencing difficulties in changing gears, it may be attributed to many underlying problems. A frequent factor is insufficient amounts of gearbox fluid. Inadequate fluid levels might result in gear grinding or slippage. Another potential cause might be a malfunctioning shift solenoid. Furthermore, your automobile has entered a state known as limp mode.Obtain a computerised report from Star.

The reason why 7th gear is not included is because it is equivalent to the "D" gear. To engage a gear higher than 6, just shift the gearbox into the "Drive" mode, and it will automatically switch to the 7th gear, provided that the engine's revolutions per minute are appropriate.

It is important for you to comprehend that this is not a gearbox that operates automatically with the option for human control.

Instead, it is equipped with an automated gearbox that has the capability to restrict the highest gear, such as while descending a slope.

When selecting 6th gear, the automobile may not remain exclusively in 6th gear, but it will not shift to a higher gear.

There is no option to restrict the gearbox from shifting beyond the 7th gear, due to clear and logical reasons.

As said, your automobile is equipped with the 7G gearbox, which is experiencing a condition known as limp mode. To get the most precise diagnostic information, it is recommended to use the MB STAR system. My vehicle, which was the same model, also had this issue, but only on rare occasions. However, I found that just restarting the car always resolved the problem, thus I never took any action to address it.

The OM272 V6 engine in this vehicle, as well as in numerous other Mercedes-Benz models from that time period, is susceptible to balancing shaft issues. The components underwent modifications throughout time, allowing you to determine which of the three distinct problems your engine may encounter depending on its serial number.

The automobile requires an engine-out rebuild to replace the balancing shaft gears, which will cost more than the current value of the car.
The EML is activated and requires new adjustment solenoids, with a range of 2729 to 30759427.
The total number of occurrences is 2729 to 30895140, and there are no instances of electromagnetic interference (EML) or oil leakage. However, new adjustment solenoids are required.

Complete information may be found here: The Complete M272 Engine Thread | Engine

My vehicle fell into the second classification and managed to reach around 120,000 kilometres without any incidents, although...

In addition, they are susceptible to problems with the variable length intake manifold. This component becomes more rigid with age and finally the plastic actuator arm fails, triggering the Engine Malfunction Light. Mercedes-Benz only offers a fully assembled replacement intake manifold for sale. Aftermarket metal arms are available, however it is highly recommended to first remove and clean the manifold of carbon deposits before installing them. Due to the impending expiration of my MOT, I decided to trade in my vehicle for a W205 at this juncture.

There is a substantial amount of material to analyse and carefully evaluate the facts. I appreciate your assistance as it is quite beneficial.

I am currently located in South East London, but, I am open to travelling if an individual with the necessary expertise is able to rectify the issue.

It is likely that you have an issue with the electro plate. If you purchase a new one, you will need to have it programmed by a Star. However, if you choose to have your current plate repaired, it is a simple plug and play process. There are a few places that offer postal repair services for plates, where you can send it in for repair and have it returned to you. Independent mechanics, on the other hand, are unable to diagnose the problem as they lack the necessary equipment to analyse the plate's functionality, unlike professional repairers.

Indeed, I have never possessed a 5-speed automatic gearbox. The 7G gearbox is the one I have encountered, and the main issue lies with the electroplate. Unless the gearbox has been subjected to extensive mileage and has never undergone any automatic gearbox fluid changes, the electroplate tends to be problematic. Independent mechanics are generally reliable, but I have observed that unless they have access to a car lift that they can spare for a few days, they are not particularly enthusias
Regardless of the independent service provider you choose, they will all perform the same task of removing the electro plate and sending it for repair. I personally used ECU Testing, where you can simply access their website and follow the provided instructions. The turnaround time was approximately one week, which allowed me enough time to acquire the new gearbox sump bolts, filter, and ATF oil. Since the electro plate was the original component and did not require any coding, there was no need for additional expenses. Furthermore, if ECU Testing determines that there is no issue with your electro plate during the testing process, they will only charge you for the testing itself.

I am uncertain about the restored electroplate. A new one must be programmed using MB STAR diagnostics.
Encountered this issue with CLK around a decade ago.