The C350 CDI, manufactured in 2010, had a loud explosion sound followed by a burning odour, which may be connected to the reverse gear.

Grundysp

I own a 2010 C350 CDI. A moment ago, I backed out of my driveway, and when I attempted to go forward after shifting into 'drive', there was a loud and forceful explosion. My first impression was that a tree limb had fallen onto the roof. I stepped out to examine the situation, but there was no evident evidence. Subsequently, I entertained the possibility that it may have been a tyre experiencing a sudden burst of air, but that hypothesis was also proven false. There were no dashboard or caution lights illuminated. I opted to drive the automobile on the road to see whether any indications or alerts were triggered, but there were no signs of any issues. I halted my movement after traversing a distance of about one mile, and proceeded to manoeuvre my vehicle in a backward direction into a designated space for parking. When I shifted into reverse, I had to apply some pressure to the accelerator, causing the vehicle to make a sudden movement and emit a sound like that of a stuck object. I repeated this action many times and encountered the same outcome once more. Upon disembarking from the car, I detected a distinct smell of combustion, maybe emanating from burning rubber, which I had not before experienced. Upon returning home, I noticed that the lingering odour of burning was still present. Nevertheless, I was able to shift into reverse gear effortlessly once again. Can anybody provide guidance on what could have occurred?

Thank you very much

After briefly test driving the vehicle, I noticed a rattling noise emanating from the back section (presumably the rear) while encountering bumps, accompanied by a faint humming sound.

I concur that a malfunction in the parking brake is the probable origin of the issue. It is possible that a spring has been dislodged, however this would need a significant failure. Such a failure would result in a poor driving experience and maybe a perceptible shift in the vehicle's ride height. Furthermore, it is readily observable provided that you are able to position your head underneath.

I believe that the parking brake may be the cause of the issue. Have you undergone any reconstruction or refurbishment of it? Will the automobile remain stationary on a hill after pressing the pedal 5 times?

I am unable to provide a clear explanation for the loud noise, but I can provide some suggestions on how to proceed. Place wheel chocks in front of the vehicle, ensure the car is in neutral and release the brakes. Position a trolley jack under the rear differential, raise the rear wheels off the ground and attempt to manually rotate them. If there is a problem with the brake shoes, you will immediately be aware of it.

You will need to elevate it in order to inspect the springs and connections, as previously mentioned.

Please inform us of your findings.

If you are experiencing a loud banging and buzzing noise, it is possible that your boost pipe may be loose. However, it is important to note that if this were the case, your vehicle would also be in a reduced power state known as "limp mode".

The presence of a burning smell may be attributed to incomplete regeneration, which the automobile continues to undergo whenever feasible.