Deciding between rebuilding or replacing - facing a dilemma

Samuraisaint

Greetings everyone, I need immediate guidance.
My 2012 C-Class petrol vehicle has incurred damage as a result of insufficient oil pressure. Preliminary examinations indicate that the intake camshaft has incurred some impairments (although the exhaust camshaft seems to be unaffected), and there is also some damage to the crankshaft.
The engine operates with the same level of performance as when it was driven to the garage, but emits a noise reminiscent of a diesel engine from the 1980s.
Should we go for rebuilding or replacing?
I have received a quotation to substitute an engine with a 68k engine for a total cost of £3,750.
The process of rebuilding seems to exhibit significant variations, but, it is understandable that the extent of further damage remains uncertain until more investigation is conducted. The price range for the initial cost is between £2,000 and £2,500. It is worth noting that some individuals may incur this amount as their final bill, while others may exceed the cost of replacement.

What is your opinion? I am experiencing significant mental distress as I struggle to choose the most optimal course of action. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated.
Located in southwest London, in case that has any impact on the advise.

What is the purpose or rationale for choosing one option over the other?....unless the automobile has very low mileage or has significant emotional value, there are other vehicles available in that age range for less than £4,000....

The primary factor is depletion of oil reserves... If the engine is now producing a knocking sound, it is possible that it has suffered a serious malfunction. If the original poster lacks the necessary expertise and means to dismantle, examine, and reconstruct the engine, it seems to be the most viable option to either replace the engine or dispose of the automobile.

Dispose of the damaged automobile and purchase an unaltered gasoline-powered vehicle that is in good running condition, has a lengthy valid MOT certificate, and has a complete record of regular maintenance without any periods of being unlicensed or off the road. It is preferable for the vehicle to have had fewer previous owners. The object is not red in colour. Please verify whether the rear subframe has been replaced by referring to post 2.

Posted (edited)

Based on the events that have occurred, it seems impractical to invest in hiring someone to repair the engine. It seems to be a problematic situation.

£3750 may not provide significant value for a new engine. However, if the vehicle is superb in all other aspects, it might perhaps justify the cost.

In my opinion, the most favourable course of action would be to sell the car in its current condition, specifically for spare parts or repairs. Then, you can use the funds obtained from the sale, together with an additional £3,000 to £4,000, to purchase a new vehicle.

Edited by Barringer

My suggestion would be to get anything you can from it in its current condition and purchase a replacement.

Undertaking such a substantial task has inherent hazards, so, just enjoy the experience of purchasing a new one.

It is worthless. The repairs exceed the initial estimate or budget and create lingering concerns about unsolved additional problems.

In the present day, there is a significant value in salvaging materials since several components may be resold.

It is worthless. The repairs exceed the initial estimate or budget and create lingering concerns about unsolved additional problems.

In the present day, there is a significant value in salvaging materials since several components may be resold.