Inquiry about trickle charger.

NotePapa

Greetings,

May I inquire if it would be OK to use a trickle charger for this battery?

Currently, I am uncertain if I came across information stating that certain batteries should not be connected to a trickle charger, or whether I am confusing this with something else I read.

Before connecting a trickle charger to my vehicle, I thought it would be wise to inquire here.

Any advice would be much appreciated 🙂

image.thumb.png.47570fcf8e8c03ede1eb643738425ce7.png

I now use a Maypole 7423, which offers the choice of an AGM battery. I have been engaging in this activity for a number of years. Both of my automobiles are equipped with permanently attached trickle charger fly leads connected to the batteries.

NotePapa, it is a lead acid battery. I have been using a conditioner attached to this kind of cell in my 968 coupe, then 968 cab, and now SLK for a significant number of years. In the 968's, I was able to directly connect the battery in the trunk and close the lid over the small cable without any issues. However, I cannot do the same in the SLK. Nevertheless, when the SLK is in the garage, I connect my £15 conditioner (from Lidl!) to the emergency positive terminal under the bonnet on the offside, and the negative terminal to one of the suspension top mount nuts. This setup works perfectly, allowing the car to be left unused for months without any starting problems. Additionally, based on my experience, I have found that keeping a battery on a conditioner significantly improves its lifespan. In fact, the battery in my 968 coupe was still going strong even after being over 10 years old when I sold the car.

A Ctek trickle charger is suitable for this battery. Similar to many others, they possess an Annual General Meeting (AGM) configuration.
I own the MX5 model.

There are ongoing debates over Ctek and similar products. The battery in question is a lead acid battery, as shown by the Pb tag on it. Therefore, it does not need a product specifically designed for AGM batteries. Although CTEK devices will automatically reset after a power outage, they are priced at £45 and upwards. On the other hand, the Lidl device is priced at £15, but it may stop functioning after 3 years and does not have the ability to reset itself after a power loss. I own an elegant one that dates back to two decades, which remains functional. However, the Lidl variant has been affixed to my SLK for a duration of three years and continues to fulfil its purpose, with no issues encountered so far.

According to others, the battery in question is an AGM battery. They suggest that any trickle charger with an AGM setting would be suitable for charging it. CTEK is often the preferred brand.

The Champion is a budget-friendly device priced at £25 that has the ability to retain its settings even when the power source is interrupted.

Similar to Lidl, it also has a display that provides convenient information about the initial and final voltage levels.

image.png.c17e74210975f995ff7fe4e6ed9001ab.png

It frustrates me that the CTEK just provides decorative lighting 😂

image.png.3f7a5905961860e73b1a2201470097fb.png

image.png.51493905af06f052cf3be900be7d1a27.png

The battery in question is a lead acid battery that is also classified as an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery. All AGM batteries are composed of lead acid, but the variation lies not in the chemical composition, but rather in the structure of the plates and separators. The charging requirements dictate that the optimal scenario is to have a slightly higher voltage, which may be achieved by using the AGM option on a battery charger. Not having an AGM option on a charger does not imply that it cannot be used. However, it indicates that the charger will not completely charge the battery to its maximum capacity, or at least not in a timely manner. Thanks to clever alternators, your car's battery will not be completely charged even if you use a charger without an AGM option. However, this will not do any significant damage.

The issue of trickle charging AGMs is only relevant to certain particular AGM models. One company that explicitly discourages the use of Odyssey batteries in automobiles is Odyssey themselves. However, these batteries are not often used in cars due to their exorbitant price, which much exceeds the typical cost of an AGM battery. Although increasingly prevalent in bicycles, they are nonetheless costly.

The Maypole MP7423 has received very positive ratings on Amazon.

For what it's worth I use Optimate battery maintainers for my automobiles. Although they have a moderate pace, they seem to effectively maintain the charge of my batteries for extended periods of inactivity. In contrast, they are also rather expensive.

I can verify that the C-Tek chargers are really effective. I have connected all of my bikes to these devices. Additionally, I can confirm that the Maypole unit works as well. I use it specifically for the SL500. I have not encountered any issues since I started using this device. If the C-Tek is available at a discounted price, I would seize the opportunity to get it. However, if it is not available, I highly suggest opting for the Maypole unit. I got the C-Tek only because it had a dedicated button for motorbikes.