Has the rev counter and second computer of the 1989 E30 325i ceased functioning?

Preedom

During the winter, I have been refurbishing my e30 325i. I have just completed the task, however I had to disengage a significant portion of the wiring inside and around the passenger footwell in order to address a little amount of corrosion. I reconnected the wires, resulting in the malfunctioning of the rev counter and onboard computer. The computer unit's monitor illuminates, but, no numerical values are shown. I have seen a little yellow wire with a connector dangling from the rear of the device. Is there any connection to this? I have successfully disengaged and reestablished all the electrical connections in order to verify that no errors have been overlooked. Any anyone who can provide light on this matter will be highly regarded. Thank you.

The OBC's LCD crystal has low strength in the E30 and is susceptible to cold or freezing conditions. Two rechargeable batteries are connected to the circuit board of the Instrument / dash panel. In the absence of a battery connection, they deplete. The battery should be left attached for a duration of one to two days in order to assess its charging capacity. If not, it is possible to substitute them...\

[url]http://www.e30zone.eu/e30zonewiki/images/7/7f/Dash_battery.PDF[/URL]

The battery has been connected for a duration of many weeks. The situation remains unchanged. Is it conceivable that the rpm counter may be defective? The malfunctioning of the mpg indicator on the instrument cluster is also evident. The cessation of functionality seemed to occur simultaneously. Is there a connection between all components, and if the OBC unit does not get a signal from the rev/mpg counter, would it be unable to function? Is it feasible?

While it is possible, the backup batteries are often the root cause of any issues with the E30 instrument. Individuals who are the originals tend to have a negative response when they are released.

I will attempt it first to see the outcome. During the process of recovering the automobile, it was seen that the battery was disengaged, allowing for just a brief period of connection to facilitate movement and other related activities. Engaging in the act of manipulating the battery connections may have had limited benefits.

Apologies for resurrecting a previous conversation, but I would want to contribute to an ongoing one instead.

Regardless, I am new to the forum and, after receiving some guidance, I recently went out to repair the dash. All components have been reassembled, but, the rpm counter, MPG gauge, and OBC have become non-functional.

Has the SI board been attributed to causing this? Is this statement accurate? I would have believed that they were entirely distinct.

Thank you.

Instead of creating a new topic, I came upon this one during my search, therefore I will post here...

I have had a similar problem with my 1990 E30 325i. Initially, all components were functioning well. However, today, when attempting to connect the radio wires to euro plugs, I saw the absence of the OBC. Subsequently, while starting the vehicle, I found that the rev counter was also non-functional. It seems that there may have been a short circuit or an improper connection.

The threshold voltage is 30A.

This is the current state of affairs:

image.png.5ab208374c72f9923250540579a94788.png

The colours are as follows: Brown, Black, Purple, Red, Yellow, and Blue.

A tape is applied to the orange wire of the euro plug.

Subsequently, the speaker wires are arranged in a manner that the gray-grey/black and green-green/black wires are precisely aligned, while the white/purple wires are affixed with tape due to the absence of any suitable connections.

Additionally, when you activate the ignition (without starting the vehicle), you will see that the OBC illuminates, although there is no visual representation on the LCD...Indeed, the rev counter, often known as the tachometer, ceased to function.

I would much appreciate your assistance, individuals.

The aforementioned issue has been resolved.

Regrettably, I neglected to inspect the fuses, resulting in the blowing of fuse number 21 (7.5A). Consequently, I promptly changed it, so resolving the issue.

When the tachometer, fuel efficiency gauge, and oil brake controller (OBC) malfunction, it is necessary to inspect the fuse numbers 10, 12, 21, and 27.

The tachometer and fuel economy are 10 and 21, respectively, with both typically operating at 7.5A. OBC effectively utilises all four of the aforementioned fuses.

If we substitute 10 and 21 as previously said, then fuse number 12 is likewise 7.5A and fuse number 27 is 30A.

This concludes the matter.

Infinite I used this resource. Thank you!

In the exact same situation, your article provided the solution.

I appreciate your willingness to contribute.