Should I purchase an R56 Mini Cooper?

Mututing

After doing thorough study on small automobiles, I am inclined to not purchase one. However, I find myself drawn to tiny vehicles and strongly considering buying one.
Should I abstain from getting one?

I come from a background of owning BMWs, including a BMW M2 which I adore. I have owned many BMWs and have found them to be fantastic vehicles. I am comfortable doing basic maintenance on my car and like driving interesting automobiles.
Therefore, I am considering purchasing a 2011 or 2012 Mini Cooper S for under $5,000. After extensive research, I found other options available, including slightly older versions at even lower prices. I am not a fan of the style of the newer models. I like the design of previous versions from 2004 to 2012, and even the 2013 model. However, I find the 2014 model quite unappealing.

What are your thoughts on this? I inquired on Facebook group sites and many really advised to steer clear of a Mini Cooper.

I want to use this vehicle as my daily driver for everyday use in town to avoid putting too many miles on my M2.

Starting to believe that mine is the exception to the norm. I own a 2011 Cooper d lci with the N47 1.6 engine. I have driven it for two years, covering 10,000 kilometres. Besides replacing consumables like tyres and brakes, the car has been reliable.

The S models are enjoyable vehicles, but they can also be temperamental. At 50,000 miles, components are likely to be worn out or near to failure due to high operating temperatures and fuel efficiency concerns, necessitating replacement:

Timing chain - use a complete kit from Febi with vanos sprockets and guides.
Vanos solenoids should be replaced with Pierburgs. Additionally, replace the oil filter housing gasket.
Replace the sump gasket with Elring Dirko and thoroughly clean the sump. Also, replace the rocker cover gasket.
Valve stem oil seals
Rectangular rings should be used on the ends of camshafts, using only authentic BMW parts.
Replace the piston rings with high-quality FAI rings after honing the bores, avoiding the use of inferior plastic oil control rings.
HPFP gasket or even the pump itself;
Replace rear coolant link pipe with authentic BMW part. Use genuine Febi thermostat housing.
Possible replacement of oil pump, sprocket, and chain using Pierburg brand; Possible replacement of exhaust flexi pipe.
Remove the cylinder head and clean or re-lap the valves.
If the engine has been consuming oil and has damaged the catalytic converter, then replace both the catalytic converter and the NTK air-fuel ratio/oxygen sensor.

You have the option to choose. I have a n12b14a in my tiny one.

When I purchased the automobile, I lacked mechanical knowledge and was unaware of what to watch for. The vehicle experienced an oil leak and required a replacement for the catalytic converter, which triggered a p0420 code. I'm sharing this to prevent you from encountering the same issue I faced, being deceived into buying a car. It may be attributed to my lack of experience (as this is my first car). Exercise caution when purchasing a car. There are likely forums available to guide you on what to watch out for based on the specific model you are interested in.

Good luck!

I own a 2012 Mini with a 1.6-liter engine. I just incurred a cost of $2100 due to a fractured thermostat housing that caused a leak onto the serpentine belt and pulleys. Today, the windows were not functioning and the turn signals were not working, among other issues, and my technician believes a faulty Footwell Relay Module (FRM) may be the cause. There are no procedures for replacement. Opinions vary from considering it a useless object to suggesting shipping it abroad for a flash programmed module. If my mechanic recommends it, I may sell one shortly for spare parts.

The thermal housing, rear link pipe utilising authentic BMW components, and OE Febi housing cost a total of £200. Additionally, it took 1 hour of effort to install and 30 minutes to bleed.

If the FRM is not damaged by water, it may be reprogrammed. This service is available in the UK and likely also in the US. A reflash should cost less than £100 here.

To replace the item, it is essential to determine the root cause of the first failure. For instance, if water infiltration was the issue, preventive measures should be taken to avoid recurrence. One approach may be to encase it in a plastic bag with an air vent at the top, while sealing the areas where cables and plugs are inserted. The poor design of the vehicle caused water damage to the radio, amplifier, and Bluetooth module located beneath the seat due to water pouring from the hood. The repair cost £1750 at BMW.