Notice of Recall: Inlet Manifold for G30 530D

Meltarb

The engine warning light illuminated on my 2017 BMW G30 530D on the same day it was undergoing maintenance at the garage for a software update and inspection of the EGR and Inlet system as part of a recall. The dealership confirmed that there were no indications of engine malfunctions or warning lights before to doing the maintenance. They proceeded to install new software and thoroughly inspected the vehicle, resulting in the absence of any immediate engine warning lights post-work. Upon receiving the automobile on the same day, I saw that the engine light was on in an orange colour. The dealership conducted an examination to identify the issue and determined that I need a replacement intake manifold, which would cost £1654. They informed me that this expense is not covered by the recall, despite the recall notification stating that all work associated with the recall will be handled by BMW. The defect occurred within a few hours of the car being in the garage for the recall work, which explicitly addressed the intake system. I collected the car shortly after, and this seems to be an extraordinary coincidence.
The car has been completely problem-free up until now, with a mileage of just 42,000 km, and is now performing well.
I would appreciate any guidance or insights from those owners who have had similar challenges.

Did you really experience a situation where you entered the vehicle, started driving, and then the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated? Or was it subsequent to your departure from the dealership? I agree that it is peculiar that the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated subsequent to their maintenance activities on that particular component of the system. However, I could not see any mention of the inlet manifold on the recall list.

Since they have acknowledged no previous CEL (Check Engine Light) before the repair, I would personally assert my disagreement.

What is the reason for their statement that a new manifold is required? Has it been cracked?

The recall notice explains that the cause for the recall is the accumulation of deposits in the engine intake system, namely the inlet manifold, due to a leaky EGR cooler during the car's service life. Immediately upon starting the automobile, the engine light illuminated, therefore causing me concern. While I would typically not question it in any other situation, it seems to me rather suspicious.

Did you promptly inform them about the light (i.e., before you departed from the dealership's premises)? As you said, the automobile was functioning when you activated it.

I would be interested to know the number of recorded occurrences of the defect and if they were aware of the Check Engine Light being illuminated before returning the keys to you (which they would have been, by the way, if the light was on as soon as you started the vehicle).

This topic is inundated with similar problems like yours, when a recall is initiated yet the situation worsens upon resolution. Halliwell Jones failed to correctly install my airbags during the recall, necessitating BMW's intervention to enforce a reinstallation.

What issue is arising that leads them to advocate the necessity for a manifold?
It is quite improbable that this occurrence is just coincidental, especially considering the recent recall to inspect the manifold.
If the dealer is not providing assistance, it may be advisable to file a complaint with BMW UK.

it's a valid observation about the quantity of fault occurrences saved. I will inquire about it. The installation of the new software aimed to identify these flaws and manufacturing defects. Therefore, it is possible that the previous version did not register any problems, whereas the new programme detected them. In that particular case, it seems that the current software was inadequate for its intended use. If it had been suitable, it could have been able to identify the issue at an earlier stage and potentially have been fixed under warranty.

I find it difficult to accept their claim. If the manifold was damaged before, a warning light would have been triggered. It is likely that they have manipulated the system to make the light appear or overlooked something. They are deceiving you.

It is not advisable for diesel engines to be equipped with EGR valves. I am unaware of any reliable solutions that can effectively operate for a significant duration. Furthermore, even if such solutions exist, they tend to accumulate greasy soot inside the input manifold.

With the exception of the swirl flaps, the manifold typically does not encounter any significant issues unless it is cracked or physically harmed. If not, you might perhaps eliminate it, cleanse it, and restore it to its original condition.

For optimal results, the recall for the EGR should include a thorough cleaning of the manifold, since they have detected potential accumulation in the engine intake.

After the software upgrade, I had the same problem, and a few weeks later, the engine management light turned on. Upon bringing it to the dealership, they have informed me that the swirl flaps and seals need replacement, and this issue is unrelated to the EGR Cooler recall.

This statement is very inaccurate and unsubstantiated. As previously explained, the accumulation of soot in the Manifold intake is a direct consequence of a design flaw.

Have you made any progress in your dealings with the dealer?

Sincerely