Replacing the fuel injector on a 2008 E90 N43 4-cylinder engine, specifically index 11, and understanding the cylinder numbers.

depofly

I am experiencing a cylinder 3 injector failure on my 2008 E90 N43 4-cylinder vehicle, which is resulting in a very unstable idle and stalling. Is it OK to substitute this individual injector with a pre-owned index 11 injector? Furthermore, I presume that the cylinders are labelled in a sequential manner from 1 to 4, starting at the front of the engine compartment and progressing towards the back firewall. Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for providing the information, @Finestey. I have also discovered a source that offers a guarantee of 2 years and does not need the replacement of old injectors. This is a fuel injector with the part number 13537589048-11 and index number 11, designed for BMW 1, 3, 5, and 6 series vehicles with N43 and N53 engines. It is available for purchase on eBay. I am posting this information for your reference.

I am currently unaware of the specific index of the original injectors in my 2008 N43 4-cylinder engine. However, I assume that the index number should not pose a problem when replacing a single injector. Although, I have come across reports of potential complications in some cases.

Upon closer observation, I have realised that this is an N43 model, indicating that it must be an older version. The specific details that you will not be able to see until it is removed. I have only experienced changes in a set and the engine worked well after it was coded. Prior to coding, there were irregularities in the engine's performance, but the injectors remained consistent over the whole range. Coding provides the fuel flow specifications.

The N43 engine can handle running at index 11 without any issues, since I had previously installed four of them in my vehicle with an extended warranty. However, it took some time to identify and resolve the underlying problem, which included replacing both vanos hubs. Based on my extensive investigation and observations of other similar remarks, it is not advisable to combine index numbers, unless they belong to the same bank. It was certainly related to the act of combining different substances. If your injectors are the original ones, their maximum index will be 9. Since they are from 2008, they could belong to a "build" version that is one iteration earlier, but not necessarily index 8.

Thank you for your message. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that the replacement of the injectors did not resolve the issue, since the root problem was really the vanos hubs (solenoids located on the front of the engine block)?

Regarding my initial inquiries, I appreciate any more guidance in advance.
1.) Has anybody have experience installing a single injector with a pre-owned index 11 injector on a 2008 N43 318i?
2.) Are the cylinders of the N43 engine numbered 1-4 in consecutive order from the front of the engine bay to the back firewall? This is important since the diagnostic is indicating a problem with the injector in cylinder 3.