Is it necessary to replace the timing chain on my 2013 X166 GL350?

HeadlinesQuick

Greetings, everyone.

Recently, my four-wheel drive vehicle was diagnosed with a fractured manifold after a decrease in engine output. The turbo is in good condition. Is it recommended to repair the timing chain while the engine is removed for manifold replacement? The 4x4 vehicle performs well without any concerns related to the timing chain. In October of last year, the oil cooler was changed and it was advised to also repair the intake motor (the specific name of which I cannot recall) simultaneously.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

It depends on the mileage. Could you provide the mileage? Could you please provide information on the service history? Occasionally, it is most advisable to refrain from intervening if something is not malfunctioning. However, it is often advisable to do preventive maintenance while you are already at that location. The duration for which you want to retain the automobile also plays a role.

If my financial situation permits, I would choose to replace it for peace of mind while the engine is removed. Having a Full Service History (FSH) would be a valuable asset when the opportunity arises for selling.

I had the exhaust manifolds rebuilt on my Vito, which has the OM642 V6 engine. This required removing the engine and transmission. However, I wondered whether there might be easier access in a GL model. The manifolds possess a steel liner that may undergo delamination, resulting in the release of metal fragments into the turbocharger, necessitating the replacement of the turbocharger as well. Prior to this, I was unaware of any instances where manifolds have been reported to break, as described by the original poster (OP).

I would be astonished if it requires removing the whole engine. It is feasible to do the task on a Vito equipped with a 642 engine without the need to remove the engine. We have completed two tasks at this location.

If the chain is making a rattling noise during a cold start, take the necessary steps to address the issue.

There is no sound of chains rattling. I have received a quotation of £700 from the dealers for a chain kit, and as a result, I have chosen not to proceed with the purchase.

Although I lack extensive knowledge about the repair process, I contacted another Mercedes professional who confirmed that replacing the manifold on the GL would require removing the engine.