Seeking assistance due of confusion and uncertainty.

Anhartic

Seeking assistance from experts in the field of Classics. We now have a 1995 Range Rover Classic (RRC) equipped with a 300 TDI engine in our workshop. The vehicle is experiencing an unusual noise. At speeds beyond 50 kilometres per hour, when we release the accelerator to maintain a constant speed, there is a noticeable grinding or rattling sound emanating from the front of the vehicle. This noise becomes more pronounced as the speed increases and can be felt through the floor. You have the ability to do it at will and it can be replicated consistently. It remains constant regardless of steering.

Previously, we possess:
Reconstructed the engine
Reconstructed the front differential
Reconstructed the rear differential

As per the owner's statement, the vehicle did not produce the noise before. However, it is worth noting that the car was in poor condition when it arrived at the shop, and we did see noise coming from the front differential before the repairs were done.

Since it has returned for further tasks and the noise it produces:
Reconstructed the gearbox
Recently acquired transfer case

It is evident that the vehicle does not possess its original front axle, which we suspect was sourced from a V8 model without air suspension (since there is no provision for shock absorber mounting). Furthermore, the car has undergone a modification to replace the original suspension system with coil springs.

The noise ceases when the front drive shaft is removed. The universal joints on the drive shaft are in excellent condition and have been lubricated.

We have thoroughly investigated all the typical individuals or entities, but have not found any evidence or results.

Assistance in any kind is welcomed.

v

Inspect the fluids in the drive line for any traces of metal residue, since this may provide valuable information on internal wear caused by bearing preloads and gear lash/clearance. Unforeseen events may occur, even while using fresh or rebuilt components.
The front end is equipped with brass bushings on the axle stubs to maintain proper alignment of the CV joint. If these bushings are absent, the CV joint may become restricted and could lead to additional damaging consequences.
Inspect the play at the ends of the flange.

Tomorrow, our intention is to disassemble the front differential in order to conduct a comprehensive examination. I successfully removed the fluid and did not see any traces of metal inside it. The axles and differentials were overhauled 1000 km ago.

The noise is quite peculiar, perplexing even my superior who is completely unfamiliar with such a sound. The differential exhibits seamless operation, with no noticeable looseness or indications of any internal malfunctions.

Additional context on the differences is that they were compiled in 2017 by my supervisor. The items were sent to him in a disorganised manner, contained inside an unmarked box, with all the components being mismatched. He made a diligent effort to assemble them correctly, but there is no assurance that the pieces were in their correct positions. It is conceivable that anything in this recent reconstruction is slightly misaligned.

I verified it today, but I will reconfirm it tomorrow when extracting the differential.

It is peculiar that we have inspected the chassis to body fasteners to ensure they are securely fastened. The sound is incomprehensible.

As previously said, when I increase my speed to around 90 kilometres per hour and then reduce it to maintain a speed of 90 kilometres per hour, the noise will begin and persist until I either accelerate or decelerate. The noise diminishes as I release the pressure, and it also disappears when I increase the speed.

Considering the noise, I had anticipated that the front differential oil would have a glitter-like appearance.

This noise was evident both before to and subsequent to the repair of the transfer case and the rebuild of the gearbox. Fortunately, these tasks were already planned, independent of the disturbance. It is only frustrating that we are struggling to locate the source of the noise.

During today's examination, we saw that the left hub has a camber of 1° inward (89°), whereas the right hub is perfectly square at 90°. Given that the axle is not original to the automobile, it is plausible that something may be bent.

Regrettably, the client is really angry over the prolonged duration of the noise diagnosis and seems to just want the return of his vehicle. Therefore, we will proceed to fasten all the components together and release it.

If he comes back and allows us further time to thoroughly examine it, we will focus on the perpendicularity of the axle/flange and remove the differentials to check them.

I would want to express my gratitude to all those who sent a response. Your feedback has been much valued.

I would recommend inspecting the gap between the front drive shaft and the lower bar. If the truck was raised, the gap between the shaft and the support bar is very narrow. This results in a situation where, when releasing the accelerator, the front end of the truck lowers by a quarter inch, causing friction. There will be a depression on the support bar where the drive shaft is making contact.

I had to lower my support bar by about one inch. I propose a wager in which the stakes are a beer.

The picture shows the front-to-rear view of the vehicle, with the driveshaft visible on top and the crossmember marked from rubbing. Apologies for the poor quality. This is the only picture I was able to locate.

image.png.157a88df99e1dcf25c7c27449eff46e9.png

I agree to the wager, but, I request that the beverage in question be a cider.
We have previously examined it, and there is no need for any friction.
The automobile is equipped with a normal height spring kit, without any additional lift.
I will provide you with the address to which you should send the cider.

Thank you for your opinion. However, I actually wish that the solution was as straightforward as you suggest.

If the issue persists even after fully releasing the throttle, it indicates that the problem is not related to the throttle itself.

This phenomenon is confined to a very restricted and precise region of the throttle. Appears to be harmonious. We attempted to remove the harmonic damper on the front axle in order to observe any potential effects, but, no changes were seen.

The client has completely altered their position; they now need the replacement of the front axle with a proper one and the assurance that both flanges are perfectly aligned. In addition, we will replace the front drive shaft since it had clearly been tampered with before we began working on it. Once the appropriate axle is delivered and we rearrange everything accordingly, we will observe the outcome.

The automobile was severely damaged by another business. Furthermore, each mating surface was first coated with primer and paint before being sealed with silicone. Last year, when it was first received, we rebuilt the engine and replaced both axles, in addition to doing many other tasks. In this round, the gearbox, torque converter, and Ashcroft transfer case were rebuilt and installed. Essentially, it is a thoroughly updated powerplant.

Even little alterations might cause significant disruptions in the engineering, resulting in bothersome rattles and whistles. Well done for persevering. I hope the issue is resolved.