Replaced the rear exhaust piece due to a malfunction in the exhaust flap of a GLA220D 4matic W156.

CleverPixel

Assistance required.

My GLA220 had sporadic instances of entering limp mode lately. Every instance saw a change in acceleration, with only the environmental mode available on the automatic gearbox.

I conducted a scan and identified issues associated with the exhaust flap and exhaust flap actuator.

I replaced the exhaust piece including the flap actuator, which was bought directly from Benz spares. I then cleared the codes and anticipated that this would resolve the issue. It did not!

I am currently contemplating my next steps in the diagnostic process.

This device communicates with a drivetrain controller unit (A 000 900 36 6 or N127) which should be checked, but no faults are currently shown for it.

Has anybody else had the difficulty of changing the exhaust flap exhaust piece, yet the condition still persists?

Tomorrow, I will carefully inspect the wire loom to check for any short circuits. This is shielded by foil heat shield wrap but may still be exposed to heat and potential short-circuiting. The actuator I removed works when I apply 5 volts across the terminals. It is possible that the feedback controller from the previous assembly is no longer functional, but I am unsure how to verify it.

Has anybody discovered the wire loom to be damaged by heat?

Please provide feedback even if you have a similar issue with car types other than GLA, since Mercedes-Benz seems to use identical components across their various models.

Have you inspected all your fuses? The malfunctioning unit may have caused a fuse to blow, preventing the replacement device from receiving power.

I attempted it first after encountering the identical issue after the unit exchange.

If my fuse testing procedure may provide a false positive. I tested the fuses by examining the metal connections on the top left and right for continuity.

Checked a fuse box located in the engine compartment and another one in the footwell.

Are there any further sets of fuses that I have overlooked?

UPDATE: I ultimately chose to surrender and take my flap to Mercedes for assistance.

They sent an estimate of £174 per hour including VAT for the diagnosis, and I felt compelled to accept.

They both seemed puzzled. Ultimately, they determined that the replacement component I installed was defective. We waited a few days for a part from Germany, and then they installed it.

Success, it worked! I had just experienced extreme misfortune when I got a defective new component.

The total cost for this? £0. The item I bought from Mercedes comes with a 2-year guarantee for both parts and labour, regardless of who installs it. No diagnostic time was charged.

The total cost, including VAT, was around £360 for the original components. In addition to the inconvenience, I was puzzled as to why the fix I had done did not work.

Kudos to Mercedes, they handled the situation well.

Positive outcome 👍

Today, I had the OM642 cooler seals changed with new seals and an oil cooler from Mercedes for one of the reasons. There will be leaks shortly, and Mercedes will reportedly be replaced and fitted with FoC.

Greetings
I am experiencing the same problem with my GLA. Does anybody know whether replacing the flap motor would resolve the issue, or if I need get the whole exhaust back part with the motor? Additionally, could you provide the order details and item numbers for the back section pipe and flap motor?

Mercedes does not offer the motor unit alone; it is only available as part of a breaker component.

You can get a mid-section pipe from Mercedes that comes with the motor/actuator already installed, along with two clamps. The pipe at the factory is a single continuous piece extending from the back of the engine to the rear. However, replacement parts are not sold in this manner to prevent customers from purchasing unnecessary sections including the catalytic box and rear silencer box. Additionally, it could be more difficult to replace anything of that size.

I will now search for the invoice with the component numbers. You purchased it from your nearby Mercedes dealership. Request to be connected to the spare parts department.

Hello CleverPixel,

Thank you, I much appreciate your response. I will contact the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealer to inquire about the availability of the component via their spare parts department.

I will provide an update on the outcome at a later time.

Has this resolved the issue?

I am experiencing a similar issue with my 2016 GLA 220d, where fault codes are indicating problems with the exhaust flap actuator and causing the vehicle to go into limp mode. The actuator has been removed, and the flap may move freely without becoming stuck. I have access to a functional star/xentry diagnostics tool that allows me to test and adjust the flap to various positions. However, when attempting the test recently, xentry indicated that the external temperature must be at least 10°C for the test to proceed, likely to prevent issues with the flap being frozen or obstructed by ice below this temperature. The problem has resurfaced in the current warmer weather, suggesting that the flap may not be used while the temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius.

Considering purchasing a new actuator to test out, which often costs approximately £200. I can instruct the newcomer in Star.

It was functioning well for a few months until this Saturday when it stopped working after 80 miles. However, after letting it sit for an hour and taking a short drive, it started working well again. How do you mean by "I can 'teach' the new one in star"?

Hello Mindumer, The unit requires instruction via Star. There is an option on the laptop to activate this process. It likely operates by pushing the motor to its maximum and minimum positions, while simultaneously collecting data to determine the angles of the flap in between. It specifies to only do this action if a new unit has been installed.

When I manually adjust the flap/motor, I can see the change in angle on Xentry/Star software, indicating the presence of feedback. I want to do testing again this weekend, aiming for a temperature over 10 degrees Celsius to enable me to transfer data using the laptop. You may choose an angle to move and verify that it has been moved to that specific angle. I suspect that it is not functioning properly, which is the issue. I will provide an update on the outcome here.

Received the replacement motor (part number A0009061201) and installed it. Before replacing the old device, I tested it with a star and saw that it was moving, albeit at a slower pace than the new one. I performed the 'teach' process on the new unit in Star and it seemed to function OK, but I am uncertain about the need of this step.

Everything seems satisfactory at the moment.