Jollyno Posted 55 minutes ago Share Posted 55 minutes ago Hello everyone, Now that I've been without a BMW for almost a decade, I'm seriously considering purchasing a 118i M Sport. It seems like the car is in pristine condition and is in mint condition. In regards to the service history, my main concern is that the first service was performed at 17,800 miles and the second service, which was a major one, was done at 34,000 miles. This information is provided by idrive. The vehicle has a current mileage of 39,000 miles. This complete dealer service history is what BMW Sytner is referring to. Too long has passed since my last oil change, in my opinion. That vehicle has a 73 plate. Is this a potentially dangerous purchase, in your opinion? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jollyno Posted 55 minutes ago Author Share Posted 55 minutes ago Amazon.co.uk : BMW Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jollyno Posted 54 minutes ago Author Share Posted 54 minutes ago Amazon.co.uk : BMW iDrive Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MaxiBroadway Posted 54 minutes ago Share Posted 54 minutes ago Servicing should be done every sixteen to seventeen thousand miles, or two years, whichever comes first, according to this condition-based servicing, which is likely accurate. After the first year from the last service, perform an interim oil and filter change, and then the recommended service after another year. Everything should be fine if you keep doing that. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Liveek Posted 53 minutes ago Share Posted 53 minutes ago Has the 118i been test driven by you? The engine is three-cylinder. Before purchasing a 420i with a 2.0i engine that has four cylinders, I drove a 120i for two weeks. The 118i and 120i are both powered by noisy and unrefined three-cylinder engines. Do you think the three-cylinder engine will suffice? The lengthy history of service is just lip service when it comes to BMWs; it doesn't mean anything. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jollyno Posted 53 minutes ago Author Share Posted 53 minutes ago Both responses are greatly appreciated. On Friday, I will be visiting Sytner Cardiff to view and test drive it; I have not yet driven it. The three-cylinder rumble isn't going to deter me, I'm hoping. The huge intervals between services were my sole worry; I'd like to steer clear of timing chain horror stories, so I researched them. Is there anything else that people think I should keep in mind while I'm driving or viewing it? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Liveek Posted 52 minutes ago Share Posted 52 minutes ago It's fine with me if you can get by with just three engines. This service record is standard on most BMWs, especially ex-lease vehicles. You can get away with the wacky service interval for the first few years, but it won't work for the long haul. Obtaining an extended BMW warranty will spare you a great deal of trouble down the road, that's all I can say. That engine does not have a problem with the timing chain. As B38/48/58 age, they begin to leak at multiple points. However, a BMW warranty is worthwhile, and you should be good to go at that age. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Liveek Posted 52 minutes ago Share Posted 52 minutes ago Amazon.co.uk : BMW Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
OmahaKnot Posted 51 minutes ago Share Posted 51 minutes ago As has already been stated. To keep the engine running smoothly, though, I would recommend changing the oil every 6,000 to 7,000 miles, or once every twelve months if you plan to possess it for an extended period of time. Any vehicle I own is subject to that. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now