The 2015 R8 V8 S tronic has a failure to engage 2nd gear after being driven for a duration of 30-45 minutes.

Hypabl

My 2015 V8 vehicle, equipped with the S tronic gearbox, has accumulated a mileage of 34,000 miles. Approximately 1,000 miles ago, while travelling from San Diego to Los Angeles, I had an issue where the engine excessively revved when attempting to transition from first to second gear automatically. Despite my attempt to manually shift using the shift paddle, the second gear failed to engage.

I had the automobile sent to the Audi dealership, where they conducted a thorough examination and found no problem codes. Additionally, during their test drive, they saw that the gearbox was functioning properly.

Subsequently, I covered around 900 miles without encountering any issues with the vehicle until this month, when I had four further instances of the inability to enter second gear.

From my observations of those four occurrences, I have discovered that by turning off the engine and allowing both the engine and gearbox to cool for a duration of time, which might vary from 20 minutes to overnight, the issue will resolve on its own.

The vehicle will resume regular operation, provided that I only drive for short durations, such as less than 30-45 minutes.

It seems that the issue is really linked to temperature, since the vehicle operates properly for a period of time following a specific event, until the engine and gearbox have adequately cooled down.

After doing an extensive search on the site, I discovered a limited number of discussions about issues with the S tronic gearbox. Therefore, I kindly request any recommendations on the potential problem or, alternatively, the most effective approach to investigating the issue in the absence of error codes.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

I suggest that you first replace the fluid every 3 years or after covering 30,000 kilometres, and also have a professional workshop do a thorough cleaning of the gear position sensors located in the mechatronic unit. They get obstructed and result in peculiar electro-mechanical complications.

image.png.fec7c6c6d13f91e5fc17ad15219e6cf8.png

MutanX raises a compelling argument, and I was personally astonished by the significant improvement in the shifting performance of my supposedly flawless S-Tronic after undergoing maintenance. I previously saw it as sharp, but now it has the same level of clarity as the auditor with whom I just concluded an interaction.

The paddle shifter in my 2014 V8 spyder was not functioning properly, specifically it was not engaging second gear. The manual gearbox operates well. Based on my investigation, it has been determined that shifters are affordable components and can be easily installed. Did your dual-clutch gearbox fail to engage 2nd gear while using the central shift lever? If that is the case, then it is a distinct issue. If not, please refer to your diagnostics list for further investigation.