The R171 SLK requires an ABS sensor and ring.

Captiva

The ABS/ESP system of the 2007 SLK280, belonging to the user's partner, has unexpectedly encountered a disabled state. Upon connecting my iCarSoft reader, it promptly indicated that the issue was with the front right sensor and advised me to clean the ring. Upon removing the hub, I anticipated seeing a conventional castellated ABS ring. However, to my surprise, there was none. Instead, I saw what seems to be the rear side of the inner wheel bearing. After removing the dirt, I reassembled everything, but the issue persisted. Based on the presence of a bearing and a seal, it may be inferred that ETC employs either one or both of these components to detect the rotation of the wheel.

Utilised the iCarSoft diagnostic tool to display the wheel speeds, revealing that all four wheels consistently exhibited identical speeds, with the exception of the front right wheel, which sometimes saw temporary decreases in speed. In my previous encounters with automobiles facing ABS issues, a malfunctioning sensor would result in the absence of speed readings from one wheel, while a broken reluctor ring would cause a discrepancy in speed compared to the other wheels. However, in this particular case, none of these scenarios is occurring. Suspecting an electrical issue, I have struggled with the inner wheelarch liner to access the connection. Despite applying contact cleaner to the contacts, even though they seem flawless, the problem persists.

This is a video capture of the front right wheel speed sensor shown on the iCarSoft device.

image.png.478cd47f33c1f0153a026ac91f851d2f.png

The inquiry pertains to whether a replacement sensor or a seal and wheel bearing are necessary. I am also interested in the mechanism used by the sensor to detect rotational movement.

The SLK is the only model that has a striking resemblance. It employs a rear-wheel drive system and relies only on a set of taper roller bearings. Indeed, we will proceed with acquiring new bearings and sealing it accordingly.

Indeed, I am aware that an alternative option would be to purchase a new hub, so circumventing the task at hand. πŸ‘ Aftermarket seal rings are incompatible with the pick up sensor. Mercedes-Benz dealers are purportedly selling the ring.

The EPC provides component numbers for the seal alone, the seal plus bearings, and a fully assembled hub. Therefore, it may be advantageous for me to get just the seal from MB. Since the bearings are in good condition, it seems unnecessary to remove and replace them without a valid reason.

They are not inserted forcefully. The racers in question need elimination. To properly maintain the bearings, it is recommended to get a little bottle of green grease from the manufacturer and apply it after replacing the ring. πŸ‘

While I am capable of rendering them unconscious, I prefer to use a press to insert the outer races, since it reduces the likelihood of them being inserted unevenly and causing obstruction, given that I possess the necessary equipment. I own many types of grease, including green, blue, brown, black, and red. I applied lubrication to the bearings after removing the hub to clean the ring, so there is no issue in that regard. I will purchase a seal from MB. Based on previous encounters, it seems unlikely that they will have one available at the moment.

In 90% of cases involving this kind, the sensor is the component that has malfunctioned. The object in question is a tightly wound spiral comprising several loops of wire that are as thin as a strand of hair. There is a discontinuity in the wire where the two ends are barely in contact with each other. While driving, the vibrations sometimes disrupt the connection, resulting in a loss of signal. I would recommend replacing the sensor as the first course of action. Alternatively, if you have an abundance of time available, you might interchange the sensors to demonstrate the validity of this suggestion.