Comparing the BMW M3 with i4 M50 for everyday use.

Starat

I am experiencing indecisiveness over this matter, maybe due to conflicting rational and emotional considerations.

Attempting to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages.

A brief background. Presently, I own an Audi ETron electric vehicle that I acquired via my employment at a really affordable price. Extremely affordable! However, the current arrangement is set to conclude in September of this year, unless I decide to prolong it for an additional year, which I am inclined to do. I am now deliberating on my next automobile choice and ensuring that I place my purchase well in advance.

Initially, I considered purchasing a vehicle that would serve as a daily mode of transportation for both me and my family, along with a separate automobile specifically for weekend use. Considering the constraints of my driveway and garage, as well as a builder's estimate of £15k, I have made the decision to limit myself to owning just one car. Consequently, I am currently in search of a versatile vehicle that can fulfil all my needs.

Now that I own an electric vehicle, I have been considering the i4 M50. I derived pleasure from the test drive, yet, I cannot help but see it as lacking any exceptional qualities.

Upon comparing the pricing disparities between the aforementioned vehicle and an M3 Comp xDrive, including in the incentives offered by BMW dealerships for the M3, both vehicles are about priced similarly for purchase (however the costs of maintenance and operation may vary significantly).

Advantages and disadvantages of the i4

The Octopus Go plan offers very affordable rates for both taxation and operation.

Extremely rapid while moving in a linear direction

I believe that electric vehicles (EVs) are still in their initial stage of development, sometimes referred to as generation 1. I am concerned that in the next years, a much superior model will be introduced, rendering my current EV obsolete and of little value.

Unremarkable? It seems that this automobile is not suitable for recreational use.

Advantages and disadvantages of the M3

The car is an M3, and every time I enter it, I get immense joy, which is invaluable.

The running costs of owning a car include expenses such as filling the gas tank, which may amount to £100 or more. Additionally, there are fees associated with servicing, tax, and other ownership-related expenses. Fortunately, the car will be covered by a warranty, and I plan to renew it when necessary.

I examined the M340i, however it did not meet my expectations. If I decide to purchase another gasoline-powered vehicle, I will fully commit to the decision without any hesitation or compromise. This may perhaps be my last gasoline-powered vehicle, therefore it would be wise to get a high-quality one.

Are the current reductions for the M3 really substantial, or are you presuming that you will be adding choices to the i4 (assuming that these extras are necessary to achieve a comparable specification)?

I believed that the M3 Comp xDrive had a much higher recommended retail price (RRP) compared to the i4 M50, amounting to around £15,000.

There is a combination of both elements, to be fair. I added many gadgets to the i4. I am aware that the current offers are not as favourable as they were one year ago, which is frustrating. However, this is an inevitable aspect of life.

It seems that you lack genuine enthusiasm for the i4. In that case, it would be more suitable for you to go for the M3. If you fail to seize this opportunity now, you will deeply regret it in the future.

I am interested in acquiring the M3, but, considering my own tendencies, I am concerned that the initial excitement of paying for fuel may diminish with time. The M50 remains an exceptional vehicle, but it does not quite reach the level of the M3. I constantly have an ongoing internal struggle inside my mind.

Given that both automobiles are costly, I am seeking an option that offers superior value to me. The M50 is not often used for casual weekend drives.

However, I am aware of individuals on the BMW forums who are transitioning from an M3 to an M50, suggesting that the expenses associated with owning an M3 may have been burdensome, leading some to reach their limit.

I want to get the M3.

Indeed, it seems that you have already made up your mind about wanting the M3 and are seeking confirmation. If the M3 is indeed your preference, I encourage you to go with your decision.

Therefore, I recommend placing an order for it. Failing to do so would only lead to self-inflicted annoyance. Furthermore, in the event that you get frustrated with the exorbitant operational expenses, you can always choose to sell it.

I recommend opting for the M3, since there will be plenty opportunity to get a new electric vehicle in the future.

However, this cannot be applied to fuel.

The i4 M50 is a very capable piece of equipment, nevertheless, the auditory experience of a high-performance gasoline-powered vehicle at startup is unparalleled.

Regarding the latest generation of BMW vehicles, like myself, I first found the appearance of the front end to be really unpleasant. However, while seeing several examples in person, I have come to appreciate their aesthetic appeal, which is notably bold and assertive.

Indeed, my grin was consistently diminished each time I refuelled my E92 M3, even when the fuel price was at £1 per litre. I would consistently choose the M50 above any other option on a daily basis. You are correct about expenses; I spent a substantial amount of money on rear tyres.

M3, I envision that it would possess a higher value compared to the i4 if you decide to sell it in the future, if that aids your rational decision-making rather than being influenced by emotions. 😄

The issue at hand is that these cars possess distinct characteristics, making the determination of which is superior purely a matter of subjective personal preference. To begin with, if you are enrolled in a work car scheme, the i4 would be significantly more affordable in this context, potentially resulting in a considerable reduction in cost. However, it should be noted that the i4 is essentially a standard 4 Series that excels in straight-line acceleration. On the other hand, the M3 offers an entirely different driving experience. Whether or not you desire that particular experience is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would choose the i4 M50 over the M3 because I do not find much value in the additional capabilities offered by the M3, but your perspective may differ.

Thank you,Racerse . I really regard your judgement, particularly since you possess extensive knowledge and expertise in BMW vehicles inside this community.

Regrettably, the work strategy on the M50 does not seem to be very effective. However, I shall review it again to confirm.