The Mini R56 2007 Cooper NA 1.6 petrol N12 has the following fault codes: 283d, 2f42, 288d, 2845.

Shadesmo

I am really perplexed by this particular issue, since most of the aforementioned problems are connected to the exhaust Vanos. The necessary repairs include replacing the head gasket, valve stem seals, timing chain kit and guides, as well as installing a new authentic exhaust vanos sprocket and a Bosch solenoid valve. I have thoroughly examined and reexamined the engine timing, and it has consistently been accurate when I insert the pin into the flywheel and use the locking tools on the cams. I have successfully reconstructed more than 20 of these engines and possess a considerable level of expertise in the mechanical components. Additionally, I am well knowledgeable about the quality of the parts I purchase. I have repeatedly removed and reset adaptations, but they consistently return within the expected range. I am certain that the issue is in the electronic control unit (ECU) and it requires a reflash. The fault code 2F42, which is connected to engine ventilation heating, seems to be a false indication, as the engine reaches the appropriate temperature, the thermostat opens, and the cooling fans operate, maintaining a temperature range of 220-230 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as I am aware, the rocker cover pipe does not include a heater, unlike the Cooper S.

Additionally, I would like to mention that the oil pressure is satisfactory and there are no signs of wear on the rings and camshaft caps located at the end of the camshaft.

Has anybody else encountered anything similar? If the issue lies with the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), I would appreciate suggestions on where to send it for reprogramming. Located in the United Kingdom.

Based on your statement, it seems that you have replaced the exhaust vanos sprocket with the TC kit. I would suggest replacing both vanos. Was the kit an authentic BMW product or an FAI kit purchased directly from a retailer? Some of the more inexpensive kits are of poor quality. I am not asserting that it was the case, I am just verifying.

VVT solenoids must be either original BMW or authentic Pierburg, since other alternatives do not respond with sufficient speed.

Additionally, during the reconstruction, did you substitute the 4 rectangular rings located at the ends of the cams? It is imperative that only authentic BMW plastic replacements be used for this purpose. If these components are worn or cracked, they may have caused damage to the head, resulting in the loss of oil pressure.

Hopefully, this provides some direction.

The Mini Vanos I had was authentic. Initially, I had no intention of replacing it, but because I was unable to resolve the error messages, I made the decision to replace it in order to eliminate the faulty component. In addition, I attempted to replace the Vanos solenoids with authentic ones, but I encountered the same outcome. The rings on cam shafts are metallic and provide an aesthetically pleasing appearance.

In 2007, the engine will still have metal rectangular rings in the first camshaft journals. These rings can cause the head surface to wear away, resulting in the inability to maintain proper timing. When the engine control unit (ECU) detects that the timing is not within the expected range, it triggers a correlation or plausibility code. This code can also be triggered by a faulty solenoid or improperly set chain. Additionally, a wiring harness or ECU malfunction could be the cause. Identifying the root cause of this code can be quite challenging. To troubleshoot, I always begin by ensuring that all mechanical components are in perfect working condition before examining the electrical system.

Did you properly lubricate the new vanos before installing it? It is highly recommended to replace the whole set, since the wear on one sprocket might accelerate the wear on the chain.

It is important to assess the condition of the parts before determining if they are in good shape. In my experience, I have rebuilt these parts for many years. Instead of measuring them for wear, I replace them with newer carbon solid rings. These rings do not create grooves on the head surface and end cap. Additionally, if the end caps were removed and the gaps were not set to 180 degrees and level with where the end cap meets the head, there is a high chance that the ears would be broken off and could potentially create grooves on the surfaces during the initial start-up. I made this mistake once and it was quite costly, resulting in the need for another head. Furthermore, it is essential to soak the vanos sprockets before installation to prevent them from sticking and ensure proper rotation.

However, if the head and cap are severely grooved, they will not form a proper seal. Additionally, I use a dremel and metal polish to polish the journal, ensuring that it does not wear away.

What are your opinions on the 2F42 code? "Heating of engine ventilation." As mentioned in my previous article, the engine reaches its operating temperature, the thermostat opens, and the coolant flows properly, with the engine fan turning on and off when the temperature reaches 220-230°F.

I suspect that a heating element may have been damaged, maybe due to burnout. However, I cannot confirm with absolute certainty if this element is really a component of the crankcase ventilation system.

According to the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) data, when the temperature rises and the fan starts running, that side seems to be functioning well.