Substitution of the park brake mechanism

DolSquirrel

Hi All,

I have received a quotation of £320 to repair the footbrake parking mechanism on my 2014 E250 vehicle. The symptoms include a parking brake pedal that ratchets down but immediately returns to its original position, and a loose release handle.
Is this pricing reasonable?
Thank you

Occasionally, my 2015 E class has difficulty in releasing the parking brake. When this occurs, I apply a generous amount of silicone spray to the pedal mechanism.
While I cannot guarantee that this will resolve your issue, I would suggest doing it.

If you possess even a little level of proficiency with a screwdriver and pliers (like to the ability to replace a fuse), proceed to detach the panels located above your shins and position your head underneath them. There is a significant probability that the 'Spring' has dislodged from its position in the 'Plastic lever'.

image.png.b2272c4110cab99f35f988a095a3a36a.png

Reinsert it using your pliers and while you are below, verify that the 'Release spring' has not become detached.

Almost. A T20 (torx) screwdriver is required, however a suitable flat-bladed screwdriver may be used as an alternative. Exercise caution while changing the panels since they may have integrated ventilation ducts. Additionally, there will be a substantial amount of foam sound insulation present. I never comprehended the process of how everything was reversed.

The 'spring' refers to a large coil spring that is tightly coiled around the cylinder located at the top of the foot pedal. It is the mechanism that restores the pedal to its original position when the lever is pulled. Occasionally, the shown end protrudes from its designated position inside the black plastic release lever. I slightly curved it before repositioning it, in order to enhance its stability. The release handle becomes limp due to the black plastic lever being trapped in the raised position, resulting in the removal of all tension from the cable. Ensure the integrity of the little release spring, which serves the purpose of retracting the handle to its original position.

I found your manner of instructing to "insert your head in that location" after removing the panel above the pedals rather entertaining. Are you a professional contortionist in the circus?
I had already experienced this issue with my E350, and unfortunately, it occurred again a few days ago. This afternoon, I removed the panel, as you suggested. It requires caution since there are many wires connected to it. However, just as I was about to inspect it, it began to rain, so I will have to postpone the task.
Excellent post nevertheless. Removing the panel is somewhat manageable, but accessing the internal components to identify the issue and then using tools and hands to resolve it is more challenging. I am only hoping that in my situation, it is only the spring that has been dislodged once again, rather than any structural damage that requires replacement.

Despite my rather small stature, I found myself reclining on my back, with my head positioned in the footwell and my feet extending over the seat back. I aimed to avoid discouraging the original poster.

Negative. Observe carefully the area located to the left of the spring's final position. You will be able to see the visible indentation caused by the spring on the black plastic component as it was being removed. The desired position is at the adjacent upper-left spot of the existing position, which is a huge teardrop-shaped hole. Observe the image I had shown in post number 3.
If possible, applying a little flexion to the spring (towards the black plastic lever) can aid in preventing it from dislodging once again.

Captiva  Thank you much for your assistance. Everything is functioning properly once again.
A Mercedes independent expert provided a quotation of £360 after conducting a thorough examination. They must have been aware that it may have been anything as simple as this.
Thank you once again

Captiva

Could you kindly elucidate the specific method of bending the spring in order to prevent its subsequent ejection? Regarding the photos, are you referring to bending it in a more upward direction or towards the left or right?
Thank you.

I slightly flexed it towards the plastic lever, creating a gentle curvature to ensure its secure placement into the slot. The amount was little, about one or two millimetres.