Purchased a 520d and noticed a rattling noise. The air filter was loose.

MamaKiddo

Observed smoke emanating from the engine compartment and into the cabin, not greasy like the injector rings on my Mercedes, but nevertheless quite gassy. Unable to upload video.

The post is unclear since the headline mentions a rattling and loose air filter, but then you discuss smoke entering the cabin.
Without specifying the age or engine of the vehicle, it is unlikely that you would get many responses. Please offer additional details to receive relevant feedback.

Apologies, 2011 BMW 520d M Sport. I heard a rattling noise, which turned out to be caused by a loose air filter housing. After removing it, I saw gaseous emissions with a foul odour. Not greasy, unlike the seals in my injector on my E220 Mercedes.

It is possible that the problem is similar, although the symptoms are not identical to those of the Mercedes. The issue originates from the front end of the automobile, not the injectors.

The cabin emits an unpleasant odour when the fans are turned on.

Apologies for the insufficient information.

I own an intricate video.

It's likely that there is no diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the leak might be due to faulty welds or from the removal of the DPF. Can you confirm whether the vehicle really has a DPF?

I just bought a vehicle thus I don't have any information yet.

Will contact the dealer shortly.

A fault with the blower heater required to be rectified before purchasing.

Considering taking the vehicle to an independent shop for an inspection from below, is that advisable?