What is the cost?

Inspirli

Recently, I received unfortunate news about my 2012 520d vehicle, which I had owned for less than a year. The turbo has malfunctioned, causing debris to scatter. It seems that some of this debris has entered areas where it should not be. Consequently, I am contemplating selling it.
I would want to know the approximate value I may anticipate receiving for it.
Thank you in advance.

What information have you received about it? I am sceptical about the ingestion of parts into the engine, given the bits would have to go via the intercooler from the compressor wheel.

The technician expressed astonishment at the severe extent of the turbo's damage, noting that fragments had entered the system via the return pipe. Given their strong reputation in the local community, I have no grounds to doubt their credibility.

I have reservations about his statement, but without direct observation, it is difficult to refute the veracity of his claims. I am uncertain about the term "return pipe." A turbocharger typically consists of a clean air intake, boost outlet, and exhaust outlet. There is a remote possibility that fragments from a damaged exhaust side wheel might have entered the EGR system, however the likelihood is minimal. I am unable to comprehend how the pieces would be directed via the intake, given they would need to go a considerable distance through the intercooler.

If I were in your position, I would not abandon that automobile just yet.

I agree with  Cincoon  on this.
Throughout the latter part of my 50 years working with car engines, I have seen several instances of turbochargers malfunctioning. However, if their claims are accurate, this would be an unprecedented occurrence.

The ad suggests that swarf or metal fragments may have entered the oil return line from the turbocharger. It is possible that the garage is hesitant to only replace the turbocharger due to the potential risks involved.