How to fully charge a hybrid battery

Cassole

The battery indicator on my 2018 CHR consistently displays 2-3 bars.

How to fully charge the battery?

Is it typical to have just 2-3 bars?

How can one determine whether the battery is dead?

Thank you.

A dead HV Battery will prevent the vehicle from starting.

I anticipate it to decrease by 3 or 4 bars, then rise again until bar 7 or 8 is illuminated, before dropping once again. It maintains a significant amount in reserve.

You may assess the battery's state independently by using Veepeak, Carly, or other diagnostic tools in conjunction with the Dr. Prius app on your smartphone.

Note that scan tools are connected to the OBD-II port.

image.png.9bff0baecedc23af28d9c11e9968a7c0.png

Conventional hybrids often aim to maintain their batteries at approximately 50%, particularly the newest models.

while beyond 50%, they prioritise using more electricity; while below 50%, they prefer using the engine.

My Yaris Cross often maintains the battery condition at 50%, as recommended . The heart rate increases only when I reach speeds of 60+ mph and returns to normal when I resume speeds between 30 and 50 mph on my usual routes.

All responses are satisfactory.
When the hybrid battery reaches 80% capacity, the app will display a warning by turning the battery indicator red and blinking. The engine will then begin discharging the battery to about 68-74%.  
Having a 50% battery state of charge is considered typical. You can only see it clearly while driving downhill for an extended period or when idling in the vehicle with the heater set to 22°C or higher. Hybrid batteries have a long lifespan of 10-15 years without any issues. Over time, the battery will gradually lose some of its capacity, shown by fast attaining full charge and discharging rapidly, particularly when using AC. Side effects include reduced acceleration despite a fully charged battery unless the accelerator pedal is forcefully pressed. Additionally, there is an increased frequency of engine drain cycles, which may be rather bothersome. As long as the cooling fan is clean, the battery keeps a regular charge, and has the ability to start the engine and drive the vehicle, there is no cause for concern. Continue driving until the vehicle stops running. This will be shown by many warnings on the dashboard.

The batteries are designed to function within a charge range of 20% to 80% to optimise long-term battery life. The battery will charge to its maximum capacity while driving downhill on steep slopes, but it will not actively aim to reach 100%. I have never seen my battery's charge level drop below 20%. The automobile is likely set to maintain a speed above this threshold since there is no benefit to going below it.