The vehicle is experiencing issues with the cam sensor, resulting in slow acceleration at low speeds.

FreexPatty

Greetings to everybody, I express my gratitude for giving me the opportunity to become a part of this community. I am entirely new to BMW and just purchased my first vehicle from the brand a few weeks ago. The car model is a 1997 328i. Acquired the vehicle at a very low price and it is in excellent shape. The vehicle has excellent performance in terms of running, driving, and shifting. However, it displays some hesitation, particularly at lower speeds. The revolutions per minute (rpms) fluctuate significantly until I reach around 3,000 rpms. I performed maintenance on the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and installed a new intake cam position sensor. These were the only diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that were detected, and I received a scanner as a present along with the vehicle. The MAF code has been resolved, but, after erasing the cam sensor code and replacing it with a fresh one, the code reappears every time I switch off and restart the ignition. Furthermore, the issue I was experiencing persists. What is the likelihood that the issue is caused by the exhaust cam sensor, and would this sensor be capable of causing this problem? The scanner indicates that the cam position is fixed at 59 degrees and that the vanos is experiencing retardation. I need knowledgeable input on this matter. Thank you in advance

If it is not functional, then it is not worth pursuing.
Are you acquainted with someone who owns the same vehicle model and might lend you the sensor for testing purposes?
Alternatively, a legitimate pre-owned item may be purchased via online marketplaces such as eBay or similar platforms.

Except for NGK/NTK, there were no similar options available on eBay at a price that was just one-third of the cost of an original product. I suspect that the issue lies in the exhaust sensor, as it is the only component I have not yet attempted to troubleshoot. The vehicle continues to operate efficiently; nevertheless, I am dissatisfied with the delay in acceleration at low speeds and the persistent illumination of the check engine light.

Did the "O" ring detach from the old sensor?
I recently experienced this myself. Although my vehicle started, I still received an error message. When I attempted to replace the sensor again, I discovered that the previous ring was still there.

The new sensor did not include the o ring, so I decided to utilise the old one as it was still in excellent condition. There is no duplication of an o ring.