The engine management light on my N43 120i is flashing.

rauman

Greetings,

I just purchased a vehicle, namely a 120i model, equipped with an N43 engine.

I get an unusual sensation at low revolutions per minute in third gear. Additionally, on two occasions when I have accelerated forcefully, the engine management light has begun to flash and the engine runs quite unevenly. However, as soon as I switch off the engine, the issue resets itself and the vehicle runs smoothly without any flashing lights. Furthermore, there are no error codes stored in the engine control unit.

Is it possible that the solenoid located at the rear right-hand side of the engine compartment, directly behind the throttle body, is causing the ticking noise?
Has anybody experienced this issue? If so, what was the specific difficulty or do you have any other suggestions?

The ticking sound commonly occurs during the operation of the fuel tank vent valve.
To determine the cause of the flashing light, it is necessary to do a scan. Based on my speculation, the issue might be related to the deterioration of the coil pack. However, conducting a scan will provide confirmation.

There were no error codes, despite the fact that the warning light was blinking. I took the initiative to connect the reader to the OBD port, but it did not provide any results.

I will purchase an inexpensive e-reader from Amazon. However, I will seek assistance from someone who has a high-quality e-reader to evaluate its performance. I did not consider the possibility that the cheap e-reader may not be of satisfactory quality.

In order to accurately diagnose defects, it is necessary to use a diagnostic tool specifically designed for BMW vehicles. If you are located in Wiltshire, you are welcome to visit and I will install the ISTA software for you.

I am now located in the North East, but I am grateful for your kind gift. Thank you. Does it imply that even a high-quality snap-on tool would not be able to detect it? it is what he used the previous time he performed the task for me, right?

It is peculiar that the engine has difficult running, yet a simple action of stopping and starting it resolves the issue.

I lack any personal experience with snap on, however I have come across instances where they have provided deceptive information.

If a defect is identified, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) modifies the engine's functioning in order to safeguard it. Resetting the ECU by turning it off and on again temporarily resolves the issue until the error reoccurs.