The R56 Cooper S is experiencing a coolant leakage, while the exact source of the leak is not visible.

SushySosa

Greetings, everyone.

I just sold my R56 Cooper since I upgraded to an R56 Cooper S. The car's odometer displays a mileage of 74,000 kilometres.

I lack expertise in mechanics.

There are a few problems with it, but I am addressing them individually, such the occasional steering lock. The most concerning issue I am now experiencing is a rapid loss of coolant, despite my inability to locate any visible leaks. Inspected the hoses and other components, but no visible issues were found.

When I turn off the engine and exit the vehicle, I can hear a sizzling sound coming from beneath the hood. I was certain that the issue was due to the coolant, but upon inspection, I cannot find any evidence of it. Furthermore, the sound seems to be originating from the vicinity of the Turbo, suggesting that it is unrelated.

I am starting to suspect that the issue could be related to the head gasket. There is no visible emission of white smoke from the exhaust.

Does anybody have any suggestions or has anyone experienced anything similar? The car's performance is good, however I lack a point of reference since I have previously driven a Cooper.

Thank you in advance.

When you inspect the oil, does it seem to be in its usual state or does it resemble a latte? Does the exhaust emit a "sweet" odour, indicating the presence of coolant?

Dear Clevercol, I appreciate your prompt reply!

The condition of the oil seemed OK when I inspected it this morning. It is evident that the oil was changed before I purchased the vehicle, since I have only had it for a few weeks.

I am now unable to detect the scent associated with sweetness. However, I will investigate this matter tomorrow and provide you with an update.

If there are no indications of coolant contamination in the oil, no emissions of coolant from the exhaust, and no visible leaks in the vicinity of the engine, it may be beneficial to do a pressure test, as it might potentially reveal any underlying issues.

Another possibility I have seen is that either the expansion tank cap is damaged, or there is a small fracture in the tank that permits coolant to leak.

I just had my item repaired and received it back just yesterday. The housing of the thermostat had developed a fracture.

I had seen a gradual loss of coolant, but a few weeks ago, when I encountered a significant pothole that caused a tyre to break, the coolant leaking intensified significantly. In only 10 miles, the coolant level dropped from full to the bottom of the expansion tank.

This occurred with my 2007 Mini One. However, it was evident that coolant was steadily dripping.

Currently, I drive my vehicle to and from work. However, I have noticed that the coolant level fluctuates between the maximum mark and just below the minimum line. As a result, I have to add coolant after every voyage. Luckily, my commute is not long enough for the car to overheat significantly.

The plastic link pipe connecting the thermostat housing to the water pump is prone to cracking at the point of insertion. This issue does not often provide any warning signs and may result in a hidden leak while the vehicle is in motion. It is crucial to identify and address this problem before driving, since these engines do not perform well when overheated.

Thank you, tr4s. I will inspect that pipe.

I will also cease driving. I have been commuting to work a distance of 5 miles everyday in my vehicle. I have recently been adding coolant to it, although I do not think the engine was overheating. However, it is prudent to err on the side of caution.

Are you currently doing engine refresh services? What is the price for a 2007 R56 Cooper S? Send me a private message if you are interested.

Thank you.