Battery discharging when stationary

Adv3nture

Hello,

Seeking guidance from more seasoned owners. I acquired my automobile two weeks ago and have drove it 500 km to date.

I charge my automobile at the workplace upon my arrival to work. During the present winter conditions in the EU, my electric vehicle is achieving a maximum mileage of 35 km.

My workplace is situated 15 kilometres away from my home. Upon reaching my parking space, I typically have around 20 kilometres of charge remaining. I will come at about 5pm.

My issue is that the next morning, when I travel to work at approximately 8 am, I discover just 9-10km remaining instead of the expected 20 km.

Is this typical throughout winter? The present nighttime temperature drops to about -2 degrees Celsius.

Recently, there has been little drainage or just a few km, even during colder nights. It seems to be some arbitrary depletion.

Should I reach out to my dealer or is this behaviour typical throughout winter?

Thank you in advance

It seems like typical behaviour, however it also depends on the size of your drainage system.

During European winters with subzero temperatures, you may drive a maximum of 30-35 kilometres before the internal combustion engine (ICE) activates. The battery's power consumption is significantly influenced by the number of other automotive components being used, such as heaters and resistance, while the internal combustion engine is not operating. These components use a considerable amount of power from the battery as heating is no longer a consequence of the engine running and must be generated separately. Another crucial consideration is the traffic's weight. Do you experience significant time delays due to traffic congestion?

Another significant effect might be the preheating of the vehicle in the morning, which draws power from the battery if the car is not plugged in. This might use 10-15% of your battery, varying based on the ambient temperature.

3rd point - Like other batteries, the PHEV battery will experience some natural discharge, particularly when the vehicle is parked outside in subzero conditions. However, this should not be very substantial (maybe 1-2% overnight).

I do not trust the accuracy of Mazda's automobile range estimate due to its frequent inaccuracies.

To determine the most effective method, monitor your kilowatt-hour use and battery percentage.
What percentage is your battery at when you come home? What percentage does it have the next day when you go to work?
What is your kilowatt-hour usage on your travel to work and back?

If the reasons mentioned above do not explain the 10km range loss, you may also lodge a complaint with your dealer.

Thank you, I will review the percentages today.

I am reducing my time spent in traffic by departing earlier. I cover around 15 km in about 30 minutes on my journey.

I am not use pre-heating, which I assume is activated via a mobile app.

What is the most effective method to measure kilowatt-hour use for short trips? I only notice the average energy consumption shown on the right side of the driver's panel, indicating about 38-39 kW/h for every 100 km.

You may preheat your vehicle by setting it using the app or by programming it in your car's menu (monthly, daily routine, etc).

Utilise your car's onboard computer (A-trip) to monitor fuel use and reset it after each journey. The vehicle may display the consumption, time, and distance travelled at the conclusion of each journey on the central display. This feature may need to be configured in the menu settings.
With an average consumption of 39 kWh/100km and assuming a full charge with a battery reserve of 20-25%, you should be able to drive approximately 35km.
However, as previously said, the consumption method may vary upon entry and exit.

Monitor your battery percentage!

If your battery decreases from 70% to 50% overnight, there is a drain on your battery as you sleep. An acceptable range might be about 1-3%, however any percentage greater than that should prompt additional research with your Dealer.

I need to review these settings in order to record my journeys. I will be sure to record the percentages today when I park the vehicle.

I have seen discussions about cars experiencing difficulties entering sleep mode, but it was apparently resolved by the most recent software update, which my dealer confirmed they had loaded before delivering the vehicle to me.

Early adopters, including myself and many others on this forum, have had several issues and complaints with Mazda. Many have faced rejection from Mazda, with responses like "I cannot reproduce the issue" or "First time we hear it." Dealers sometimes want video evidence for Mazda to acknowledge it as a defect.

The recent software changes and enhancements to components like as the steering wheel, suspension, and prop shaft are still a work in progress but are expected to significantly improve the CX-60 compared to its first presentation over two years ago.

Conduct your inspections and record them with accompanying images. Do it for 2 to 3 days.
If you experience a daily battery loss of 5-10% without a clear reason, contact your dealer and provide them with photos as evidence.

Best wishes!

Thank you! Will the dealer automatically fix components such as the steering wheel, suspension, and prop shaft, or do you need to provide proof to the dealer? Are these concerns common and applicable to all automobiles manufactured in 2022-2023? According to the dealer, my automobile was manufactured in 2023, but the exact date is unknown to me. It was delivered in November 2023. Can I verify this with the VIN?